Updated at: July 16, 2013, 8:47 a.m.
American Society for Training and Development
ASTD (American Society for Training & Development) is the world's largest association dedicated to the training and development profession. ASTD's members come from more than 100 countries and connect locally in more than 120 U.S. chapters and with more than 16 international partners. Members work in thousands of organizations of all sizes, in government, as independent consultants, and suppliers.
Started in 1943, in recent years ASTD has widened the profession's focus to link learning and performance to individual and organizational results, and is a sought-after voice on critical public policy issues.
- Provides resources for training and development professionals, educators, and students—research, analysis, benchmarking, online information, books, and other publications.
- Brings professionals together in conferences, workshops, and online.
- Offers professional development opportunities for training practitioners, from a Job Bank and Career Center, to certificate programs, and the only credential offered in the field: the Certified Professional in Learning and performance (CPLP).
- Serves as the voice of the profession to the media and to public policy makers in the U.S., and collaborates with other associations, organizations, and educational institutions to advance the profession.
- Recognizes excellence and sets the standard for best practices in learning and performance.
10 steps to Successful Strategic Planning